With all South Africa in lockdown, and the majority of vehicles parked for all but the most essential trips, Tiger Wheel & Tyre reminds motorists that even, and perhaps especially, when they are stationary for long periods of time, cars still need some TLC.
Here are the company’s top five tips to keep your car in shape during lockdown:
- Keep the battery charged. Start the car and let it idle for 15-20 minutes, at least once a week. Do this outside or keep your garage door wide open and any doors leading into the house firmly shut. Or disconnect the battery and connect it to a trickle charger, if you have one.
- Check your license disc expiry date! The only thing more tedious than lockdown is figuring out how to renew an expired license. Renew yours via your Tiger Advantage Plus Protect a benefit plan, or online through your local city council’s e-Services portal. There’s even a WhatsApp license payment service called ChatBack that will renew your license for a fee.
- Keep your tyres inflated. It’s not just driving, but the passage of time that makes air escape from tyres. If you’re able to inflate them at home, do that first before making essential trips or when lockdown ends and you return to work. Maintaining the correct tyre pressure avoids flat spots and protects the tyre’s sidewall from damage.
- Clean your car. Bird droppings, water stains and even dust can get baked into the paintwork, causing lasting damage. Washing your car will prevent this from happening, and besides it’s a great way to mix things up and pass the time during lockdown.
- Be safe in all the ways that count. Keep your vehicle in tip-top safe shape; drive safely; and when you’re out on essential trips, keep your distance from people you don’t live with, don’t touch your face, and wash your hands when you’re done.